Yungun (YG/Essa) has not had your classic rap past. Born in a leafy suburb and educated at one of the most prestigious UK schools, Essa became a city lawyer. But somewhere along the path, he found the time to cement his name into the pavement of UK Hip Hop classics, offering up countless party bangers, soulful numbers, love songs and conscious social commentary through his mic skills.
In his earlier days while working as a host and MC on pirate radio station Parlay in Harrow during the mid 1990s, he formed Dupa Styles with emcee Devise. From there, Yungun formed alliances with DJ Harry Love, who became Dupa Styles’ DJ/Producer. Yungun started to form a solo career, working closely with great friend and long time collaborator Mr Thing. He also rapped with/for Evil Ed, Doc Brown, Skinnyman and Jehst, to name just a few UK emcees.
His solo albums (both made with Mr Thing) were instant classics, showcasing Yungun’s ample talent.
Yungun is still writing, creating and peforming and is currently releasing material on his FRMX project.
- Evade & Seek: The EPilogue5 tracks9th Mar 2015
- The Misadventures Of A Middle Man12 tracks5th May 2014
- FRMX37 tracks15th Nov 2013
- Time For Something New E.P.5 tracks5th Nov 2012
- FRMX25 tracks26th Jul 2012
- The FRMX E.P.5 tracks16th May 2012
- The Essance15 tracks1st Jan 2007
- Grown Man Business11 tracks18th Sep 2006
- Yungun – FRMX 2July 26, 2012
- Essa (Yungun) – Time For Something New (OUT November 5th 2012)October 30, 2012
- 2 Tracks from Essa’s FRMX3 E.P.November 11, 2013